See also: Device Specific Info.
- Location of USB debugging in Android Settings
Open Settings from notification bar or from app list, then find Developer Options -> Debugging -> USB debugging.
1. Open Settings from notification bar or from app list, then tap About device (About phone or About tablet).
2. In the device information list, tap Build number item 7 times.
Then, the Developer options are unlocked and shown in the Settings screen.
- The script (win.bat/mac.sh/linux.sh) in setup tool failed with “Permission Denied” message
Retry with win_alt.bat / mac_alt.sh / linux_alt.sh / FrepSetup.apk in latest setup tool for FRep 3.2 or later. They work on Galaxy Note 3(SM-9005, 4.4.2) and Galaxy S5(SC-04F, 4.4.2) which the error occurred with previous versions. If they also fails, please inform us your environment shown in System Info.
You can avoid this error by getting root and installing of SuperSU 1.9~ on your device. Note that you must select “Recheck Rooted State” from menu in FRep after getting root.
- The script (win.bat/mac.sh/linux.sh) in setup tool failed with “more than one device and emulator“
Multiple devices are connected to PC/Mac -> Connect only single device and retry.
Only single device is connected -> Some software may interfere the USB debug connection, please stop or uninstall them. (example 1)
If both of above do not solve the problem, please try the following steps.
Otherwise, you can confirm your device’s serial ID, and designate it to the script, by appending “-s (serial ID)” option to the script starting command.
ex.) win.bat -s b02O52166c6688f
2. Type followings in Command Prompt window.
cd (extracted path of FRep Setup Tool)
ex.) c:\> cd c:\Users\user\Downloads\frep_win_ja\frep_setup_win
c:\Users\user\Downloads\frep_win\frep_setup_win> bin\adb devices
The results of the commands will list the “(ID) device” lines.
List of devices attached
*The ID of the list differs depends on your Android device.
3. Try setup for one of the listed ID by typing;
win -s (single ID from step 2.)
ex.) win -s b02O52166c6688f
2. Find Serial ID(ex: b02O52166c6688f) in the Status dialog.
3. On Windows, right-click win(.bat) in FRep Setup Tool, and choose Create Shortcut in the popup menu.
4. Then, right-click the created shortcut, and choose Properties.
5. At “Target:” in Properties dialog, append option of ” -s (Serial ID)”, then click OK.
After) C:\Users\user\Downloads\frep_win\frep_setup_win\win.bat -s b02O52166c6688f
6. Double-click the shortcut to execute ID-designated win(.bat).
Note that some devices show different serial ID in Status dialog from needed ID for FRep (and/or adb tool). If this workaround does not solve the problem, try also Workaround 1)
- The script (win.bat/mac.sh/linux.sh) in setup tool failed with “The system cannot find the path specified.” error
If the setup tool is not extracted from downloaded archive file (zip, tgz), extract it and then restart the script.
- The script (win.bat/mac.sh/linux.sh) in setup tool failed with “No such file or directory” error
If you never launched FRep on Android -> Once launch FRep on Android, to write binary for initial setup.
If the setup tool is not extracted from downloaded archive file (zip, tgz), extract it and then restart the script.
- The script (win.bat/mac.sh/linux.sh) in setup tool failed with “error: device not found” error
If the device and PC/Mac connected with cable for only recharging -> Connect with cable bundled with your device (or cable capable of data transfer).
If SD card is occupied by PC/Mac -> Change the connection mode by tapping the notification on Android.
For first connection, Android 4.2.2 or later needs permitting connection from your PC/Mac. See your android device and permit that.
- (Windows only) setup tool still says “error:device not found”
It means the Windows does not recognize your Android with USB debugging state. Please confirm your device driver is available, by starting Device Manager on Windows, and check if there are available your Android device (without warning icon) with “ADB”, “Android Debug” or such. If not, you need to (re)install the driver for USB debugging, sometimes provided separately in maker’s site.
- (Windows only) setup tool stops with “←7←[r←[999;999H←[6n←8″
On some devices with custom ROM, the setup script stops because of the difference of the protocol. Please retry with following. 1. download and extract this file. 2. put the extracted win_alt_custom(.bat) to the same place with win(.bat) and win_alt(.bat). 3. double-click win_alt_custom(.bat) to start it.
- There is no available official driver of my Android device for Developers (for USB debugging)
As another driver option, you can try third-party’s one developed by Koush.
- My Mac fails to open mac.sh
Try following steps to start and associate mac.sh with Terminal app.
2. In Choose Application panel, select Application | Utilities | Terminal
3. Check ON “Always Open With”
4. Push “Open” to start setup
In next time, double-clicking mac.sh will start setup.
- Setup tool for Android says “Server Script Started”, but the FRep cannot start service
Please check ON “Force Restart” in the menu of FRep Setup, then retry the setup.
- Starting service crashes the app / floating console does not show up
Please refer the workaround here, related with SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW permission of Android 6 or later.
Note: some custom ROM require special settings for the floating app.
- After updating Android OS, setup tool fails!
Since Android system update may reset the USB debugging options, please confirm them. If your device was updated to Android 4.2.2 or later, please confirm the “Allow USB debugging” dialog too, which is shown on Android device when you connect your device to the PC/Mac at the first time.
Record & Replay
Open the Apps in Android Settings, and tap the gear icon at the top right corner, then select Draw over other apps (in Special access). Confirm “Yes” for FRep in the app list. If it is “No”, tap FRep in the list and switch ON the Permit drawing over other apps.
- On Android 5 or later, FRep does not recognize current App. / The notification keeps “FRep Protected” on any Apps.
On Android 5.1.1~ or on Android 5.0.x of some devices, activating FRep Accessibility Service is required. Please switching ON it in Accessibility of Android Settings. Note that the FRep’s Current App Detection in System Settings must be Auto for Android 5.1.1~ or Only Package (Accessibility) for some devices with Android 5.0.x.
If you find mismatch of current App. detection, please inform the support about the missed App. and FRep System Info.
- On Android 7, FRep stops recording/replaying.
In some specific situation, the Accessibility service on Android 7 does not recognize the actual app information. If you encountered the problem, please try to switching OFF the FRep’s Keep Screen On in Rec/Play Settings, as a workaround.
- How to cancel recording?
Tap the notification to cancel recording, instead of pushing power button.
- “Till Gap”/”Progress” recording mode does not finish/separate after designated seconds
Please check OFF “Detect Keep Pushing” in Options.
- How to record on Fullscreen app?
Before starting the fullscreen app, tap the FRep notification to show FRep floating console. Manually shown console will not be hidden.
Note that if console is already shown before starting fullscreen app, tap twice to hide and show console, to show console manually.
- After Android 4.4 update, FRep fails to play sequences, export data
Android 4.4 prohibit writing file at arbitrary path in SD cards. (ref.) So all output files for Database, Screenshot, exporting data should be written in /sdcard/data/com.x0.strai.frep/files/. Check followings and try the workarounds. (Feedback will be welcomed)
1. “Options -> System Settings -> Storage” is NOT “SD Card/strai”.
If it is, copy the files in /sdcad/strai/ to /sdcard/data/com.x0.strai.frep/files/, then change the option to “SD Card (App Storage)”.
2. Test playing after “Options -> System Settings -> Save Screenshot” is OFF.
3. If it is successful, set the path for Take Screenshot to /sdcard/data/com.x0.strai.frep/files/, then check ON the “Save Screenshot” and retry the test.
- Shortcut opens FRep app instead of starting replay
It occurs only on Android 5.0, when FRep app remains in the task. Please close the FRep app before you trigger the shortcuts, by pushing Back key at FRep app.
If you encounter this problem on other environment, please inform us.
- The replay interrupted without touching
Please try changing the Replay Settings as Uninterrupt for the record in Manage Traces screen. To set the Uninterrupt as default setting, check Off the “Default Interruption” in Options – Rec/Play Settings. If this does not solve the problem, please retry recording.
If the interruption occurs at Image (Wait Image) control, please try to add Wait control with 0.5 s before the Image control.
If the interruption occurs after addition of Loop or set Repeat, please try to add Wait control at the first or last position in the Loop or the sequence.
The screenshot of “System Info” in FRep app will be welcomed to fix the problem.
- FRep replays incorrectly
Please check the preview of the recorded operations from Manage Traces, by tapping the app icon of the record. Also, you can view actual replaying finger operation by Android’s Setting -> Developer options -> Show touches. Basically FRep record/replay as it is, so please concern the variable delay time from CPU load or network speed, in recording operations. You can use Wait Image control to confirm the app phase, see here.
- Why FRep is protected in specific app?
To avoid problem, FRep do not work in FRep app, Call screen and Google Play app. You can check OFF “Safety App Lock” in Options to enable FRep in Call screen and Google Play app.
And unchecked apps in “Restrict App” screen will restrict FRep too. If FRep is restricted in other app, please inform us about the app name, and (class)@(package) info which is shown by tapping “FRep protected” notification.
- My Android does not respond after replay / interruption!
On some environment, the touching state remains after replay or interruption. Please try checking OFF “Reset Only Used Fingers” in System Settings of Options. If the problem is not solved, see also: Device Specific Info. If you found similar problem, please inform us with the screenshots of System Info and the preview of the record.
- Error occurs on copy the text or others
Current Android 4.3 has a bug on copy to clipboard. There is no workaround code, i.e. app developers cannot fix it. So please avoid to use the copy / paste function before the Android 4.3 is updated.
- How to trigger to play the record/sequence of FRep?
Please use a kind of triggering app. The record/sequence of FRep can be triggered by shortcut. If FRep is unlocked, they can also be triggered as Tasker/Locale plugin. Note that triggering the record/sequence does NOT need rooted device, but needs the FRep service already started.
- There is no Screenshot for the record, despite Save Screenshot is ON!
Since taking screenshot on Android 3 or later need a few seconds, early finish by Power push may result in imageless record. Try to finish recording after several seconds from “first operation”, when FRep start taking screenshot. Note that FRep automatically eliminate the interval time between last operation and power push or other finishing event.
- Screenshot files are not shown in the list of From file
FRep recognizes the screenshot files which have the same size with the device’s screen and png/bmp format. If your device saves the screenshots as jpg(jpeg) format by default, please switch it to png and retake the screenshots.
- Preview has strange screenshot
On Android 2.3.3, FRep takes screenshot by reading framebuffer. Since some device has reversed buffer type, you can choose manually the Screenshot Method in Options of FRep app. Please try another option, and if all options fail, please send us the screenshot image with your device information.
- Wait Image: Exact Match sometimes fails, in same situation
First, check OFF the Match by All Bits in Options and retry. If it does not solve the problem, try to switch the Image Matching mode from Exact Match to Color Similarity and set > 99% threshold. If it still fails, check your device has power-saving mode and set to OFF if it exists.
- Why Progress mode registers hole-shape Wait Image?
Try to Off the Android’s Settings | Developer options | Show touches. When it is On, screenshot contains white circle of the touch point. So FRep automatically mask the white circle and resulting Image Match control has hole-shape.
- Does my rooted device need setup?
Check 2 points for self-startup by rooted device. 1: Confirm your root management app do not inhibit su of FRep. 2: In FRep MAIN MENU, push & open menu key to select “Recheck Rooted State”, which will attempt to switch the FRep setup mode for rooted device.
Note 1: first startup may take time, in some ROM/root management app.
Note 2: root management app may reset su settings for FRep by updating FRep app.
Sorry for inconvenience, some rooted device / rom cannot boot FRep service by itself. Please use setup tool or execute setup.sh from su shell to boot, until the fix.
- Can my rooted device start FRep service automatically?
Check ON “Start on Boot (Rooted)” in Options.
- FRep console does not show up by tapping notification!
If your custom ROM has settings about popup window or overlay apps, please check them. As for MIUI, try Setting > Apps > FRep > Show Pop up windows. (Thanks for report)
- How to use FRep plugin in Tasker?
To register the triggering FRep playing in Tasks in Tasker, please try followings.
2. Launch Tasker, and tap “+” to create/tap task item to edit in the Tasks tab, which will be started from the Profile.
3. In Task Edit, Tap “+” to add Action.
4. In Select Action Category, tap Plugin, and then tap FRep shortcut.
5. In Action Edit, tap top-right Edit button (or shown by pen icon).
6. Choose FRep record prepared in Step 1.
7. Push back button to return to Task Edit. Confirm your Task has FRep shortcut with chosen record label.
8. Now you can trigger the Task from any Profile in Tasker.
- How to use FRep Event plugin in Tasker?
To register the detection of FRep finish playing in Profiles in Tasker, please try followings. Event plugin is available only on Tasker 4.3 or later.
When the event is detected, the temporal variables of Tasker will be set. %frepsuccess will be 1 for successful finish, or 0 for fail/interrupted replay. %frep0~%frep4 will be set from FRep’s variables of frep0~frep4. They can be referred in the Tasks triggered by the Profiles with FRep Event plugin.
2. Launch Tasker, and tap “+” to add profile item to edit in the Profiles tab.
3. Select “Event”, tap “Plugin”, and then tap “FRep”.
4. In Event Edit, tap top-right Edit button (or shown by pen icon).
5. Choose FRep record prepared in Step 1.
6. Push back button to return to Profiles.
7. In Enter Task, select task to trigger when the FRep replay finished.
- How to delete the binary and related files?
Uninstallation will erase all binary and related files. See also the following about strserv process.
- Strserv process remains after uninstallation
Since strserv starts with shell (for debug) authority, it remains after all files removed (even if strserv itself deleted). To terminate it, simply reboot Android or kill the process from adb commands of “adb shell ps strserv” to check PID# and “adb shell kill [PID#]”.
Leave a comment or mail to support[at]strai.x0.com, if troubleshooting does not solve the problem. For setup error, please attach the error messages and your device name. For other error, additional is-rooted or not and the screenshot of “System Info” will help our support.
Please feel free to inquire about enterprise use, such as volume licenses, support for automation/simplification.